Well, chances are you wouldn’t have found your way to this site if you didn’t have at least a little bit of Inner Princess (IP) going on. [superemotions file="icon_wink.gif" title="Wink"]
The most important thing to know is that it’s not about being frilly or petty or demanding. Not that frilly isn’t OK, but a Personal Growth Princess just doesn’t fit into the negative stereotypes a lot of people have about princesses.
In fact, a Personal Growth Princess is really a Self-Rescuing Princess who also happens to be an avid personal growth enthusiast.
She is undoubtedly smart and (at least at times) a bit on the sassy side.
(Some of) The Characteristics of Personal Growth Princesses:
- you just HAVE to get that self-help book…but you don’t quite get around to reading it, or not all of it anyway…but you really mean to!
- you like to make intuitive decisions, but sometimes you hold back or don’t trust them fully
- at some point in your life you pretended to be a princess – maybe when you were a little girl playing dress up, or maybe more recently when you wore those new high heels around the house
- you smile when you think of the word “Princess” – maybe even have a few things around the house that have the word Princess on them – a sign, a quote, a greeting card someone sent you, a pillow, a wine glass…
- sometimes you like to be girly-girl, but you were probably a tomboy at some point in your life (some of the coolest princesses ride Harley-Davidson motorcycles, and that’s definitely not girly girl!)
- you might secretly read romance novels…you enjoy the escape, you know they aren’t reality, but you’d still be a little bit embarrassed if some of your colleagues found out
- and if you own a tiara, whether plastic, cubic zirconium, or real diamonds, then you are most definitely a Personal Growth Princess!
If you find your inner feminist duking it out with your inner princess, this is perfectly normal. What it means is you are committed to yourself AND to being your best.
(If you’re interested you can read more about how my inner princess and inner feminist stopped duking it out and turned to collaboration.)
It’s not a matter of either-or, it truly is a case of BOTH-AND. You CAN have it all!
You can be a feminist and be a personal growth princess. In fact, we’d go so far as to say you can’t be a personal growth princess without having a strong sense of yourself and your worth in the world.
Feminism, by definition, means women having the right – and resources – to choose to live the way they want. So, if you deny your Inner Princess her place in the sun, you are actually being a tad anti-you, yes?
The savvy Personal Growth Princess knows she is entitled to her personal growth, and that having someone else do some of the preliminary work for her (as in the form of book summaries, interviews with authors, etc.) is just fine and dandy.
To be someone you are not is to waste the person you are.
– Nina East, Founding Princess
So why a Princess and not a Queen?
Think about it…when you think of a queen, you conjure up certain images and feelings…
- the weight of the world on your shoulders
- lots of rules and doing things “just so”
- old & stuffy
- more likely to be beheaded (we don’t like that!)
- sensible shoes (heaven forbid!)
- can’t make mistakes because everyone else is watching and commenting (poor Queen Liz)
Whereas, when you think Princess, you think…
- young in spirit
- beautiful inside and out
- playful and lighthearted
- charms, fairy godmothers, tiaras…
- always gets her dream (whether that be a man, a pony, a magic carpet, or the best personal growth there is!)
- it’s perfectly acceptable to be self-indulgent – in fact it’s a glorious sign of self-love!
- all is not right with the world until the princess has freedom and choice, and believes in herself! (see the movie “Shrek” for a beautiful portrayal of this!)
- you are expected to be completely full of yourself (and after all, who else would you rather be full of?)
- and ultimately, when you are queen, you’re queen for a day, but when you’re a princess you are a princess for a lifetime.
And in case you were wondering, there are LOTS of Personal Growth Princesses out there!
We just haven’t had a gathering spot until now…
If you’d like to join us, we’d love to have you. Just go to Become A Princess and you’ll get the keys to the castle!